Understanding Subcontractor Insurance – What You Need to Know
March 24, 2023
For large construction projects, managing subcontractors is no easy feat. Not only can it be a time-consuming process with all that paperwork to keep track of – but certain compliance requirements are necessary for each job in order to mitigate risk and ensure everything’s on the up and up.
That’s why reliable software solutions have been created specifically for subcontractor management: so you can digitize important insurance documents and easily store, audit & track them from start to finish!
In this article, we will cover the basics of subcontractor insurance and provide a handful of top subcontractor compliance management tools on the market.
Does general liability insurance cover subcontractors?
When it comes to safeguarding your business operations, having the right general liability insurance is key. However, not all subcontractors have the coverage you may need for projects—which is why verification of a Certificate of Insurance (COI) from each subcontractor becomes so essential.
This document confirms that they carry appropriate and sufficient protection against potential risks associated with their work activities; ensuring both parties are protected in contract agreements.
Best Practices for Subcontractor Insurance Tracking
To reduce potential risks, General and Prime contractors must utilize the highest standards in management policies. This includes implementing effective practices such as having thorough contract documentation and establishing relationships with subcontractors who adhere to safety protocols.
- Develop a system for tracking insurance information: Establish a system for collecting and organizing insurance information for each subcontractor. This system should include details such as the type of insurance coverage, and policy limits, and ensure that subcontractors provide proof of insurance before beginning work.
- Verify insurance coverage: Verify that each subcontractor’s insurance coverage is current and sufficient for the work they are performing. Contact the insurance provider directly to confirm the details of their coverage.
- Maintain accurate records: Keep accurate and up-to-date records of each subcontractor’s insurance coverage, including the policy number, coverage limits, and expiration date. Develop a process for refreshing this information to ensure everything stays accurate.
- Enforce insurance requirements: Hold subcontractors accountable for maintaining insurance coverage and enforce your insurance requirements. Consider including language in your contracts that outlines your insurance requirements and the consequences of non-compliance.
4 Best Subcontractor Compliance Solutions
The above best practices can be easily managed with the right subcontractor compliance solution. If you’re unsure of where to begin your search, we’d recommend the following list as great entries worth considering.
EvidentID is the only completely automated COI verification and insurance verification solution on the market. We give clients the tools they need to ensure total COI compliance and risk mitigation across industries such as retail, lending, supply chain, marketplaces, construction, franchises, and more.
- Full automation
- Leading turnaround time and accuracy
- Scale for high-volume networks
- Connected coverage to insurers
- International Coverage
- One-Click Compliance
- Limited to insurance documents like COIs, Endorsements, Exclusions, etc.
- A fully automated solution, so if you are looking for a workflow solution other tools may be a better fit like TrustLayer
If Evident checks all of your boxes for subcontract compliance requirements, book a demo and see how Evident can transform your subcontractor COI Management.
TrustLayer is another tool that brings automation to COI compliance, using AI-powered software to automatically validate COI points.
- Multiple integrations
- Pricing is based on the number of subcontractors
- Manual offerings
- Geared toward General Counsels
MyCOI provides a seamless solution for third-party COI verification, providing a straightforward way to track and review documentation.
- Central data reporting platform
- Dedicated insurance certificate team
- Not fully automated
- Slow to handle large amounts of requests speedily
- Limited branded emails
Jones, provides a great insurance management experience for property management and construction companies.
- Easy to use
- Real-time compliance reports
- Integrates with Procore
- Only works in the property management and construction space
- Limited to insurance and compliance docs
See the full comparison here.
Stop worrying and start doing: get the smart subcontractor compliance solution
At the end of the day, all subcontractor compliance solutions meet the same basic need: providing peace of mind to companies by mitigating their third-party network risk. Solutions like EvidentID were designed for this very purpose, providing an end-to-end compliance verification solution unlike any other.
If you’re ready to stop worrying about your teams and start focusing on the tasks that drive value to your organization, contact our team. You can access our free demo and see just how easy it is to stay on top of your compliance goals.