Do Good AND Protect Data: Why Nonprofits Should Automate Background Checks and Verification
January 15, 2019
Between fundraising, events, and charitable donations, nonprofit organizations collect a ton of data. Depending on the nature of the organization and the cause it supports, some NPOs handle personal information that is especially sensitive and confidential.
This doesn’t even include the vast amount of volunteer and employee data collected during the onboarding process.
The nonprofit industry is diverse, encompassing many different applications that would require an organization to verify details of its employees and volunteers. A few examples might include:
- Driving and Transportation (National Kidney Foundation, Goodwill)
- Food Preparation and Handling (Meals on Wheels, Feeding America)
- Home Building (Habitat for Humanity)
- Caregiving (Elder Helpers, Miracle Babies)
- Medical and Surgical Licenses (Doctors Without Borders, Operation Smile)
NPOs need a better way to safeguard personal information that’s shared with them, while ensuring the safety and dependability of their constituents––and because marketing is such an important part of fundraising efforts, nonprofits must also pay special attention to new privacy regulations like GDPR and the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, among others.
Nonprofit organizations should begin weaving privacy and security by design practices into all of their business processes with regard to how systems store and process data from their supporters, donors, and of course, their employees and volunteers.
Fortunately, there are a few tools that can help nonprofits protect personal data, respect privacy rights, and onboard the most qualified and trustworthy volunteers:
- CRM and Marketing Automation: Make it easy to remove anyone who’s revoked their consent so that they no longer receive communications from you
- IT Assessments: Can uncover gaps in security that could leave your organization vulnerable to risks
- Background Check and Verification Automation: Ensures seamless onboarding without requiring a significant amount of manual resources to verify identity, licenses, insurance, motor vehicle records, and background checks (among other things.)
Evident’s unique platform automates both identity/credential verifications and background checks, aggregating results in a simple, easy-to-use dashboard. This can help nonprofits track a volunteer’s review process from start to finish, while allowing the organization to only pay for the verifications it needs.
Our software also continues to support your business even after you’ve onboarded a new volunteer, so you can stay informed of any changes in their background checks, motor vehicle records, or any other necessary credentials and licenses.
Is Evident Right for You?
Evident’s Identity Assurance Platform leverages intelligent automation and hundreds of authoritative data sources to provide the most accurate and up-to-date background checks and verification results. If you’re looking for ways to reduce costs and save time while confidently onboarding the most qualified volunteers, Evident is the platform to make that possible. Request a demo.
Ready to start running verification in minutes? Sign up today.