5 Tips to Make Onboarding Commercial Contractors Easy and Painless
January 10, 2019
It’s hard to find good contractors, especially in the fast-paced real estate and construction industry. Many companies rely solely on background checks to determine suitability for employment, but background checks alone are not necessarily sufficient.
From a trust and safety standpoint, it’s helpful to know, with confidence, that the person you’re hiring is who they say they are, that they’re insured in case of an accident, and that they have the right credentials to perform a task that requires a specific set of skills.
Checking a contractor’s criminal and employment history is standard practice, but the best way to avoid liability is to synthesize background checks with verification of identity, professional license(s), motor vehicle records, and insurance, among others.
Conducting background checks in tandem with verifications may seem like an arduous task, but automation makes this process easier and can save you time, money, resources, and frustration.
Here are 5 tips for commercial builders who are considering a better, faster way to onboard new contractors:
- Reallocate Your Resources: Does your company have a dedicated HR, operations, or trust and safety team? If you don’t have unlimited resources to hand-pick contractors, it can be a serious undertaking to manually review background check and verification results. It’s important to consider how much time and energy is spent onboarding new contractors, and to think about where those efforts can be better spent.
- Consider Your Customers: Customers want to know that their projects are in good hands with professionals who know what they’re doing. It’s important to hire qualified contractors, as they are a direct reflection of the professionalism, safety, and reliability of your business. Background checks alone can’t verify a contractor’s insurance and professional licenses/credentials.
- Differentiate Your Business by Hiring the Best: Hiring reliable, qualified, and insured contractors can help differentiate your business. Automating background checks and verifications makes it easier to hire new employees faster and helps you stay ahead of the competition.
- Comply with State & Federal Regulations: Identity, insurance, MVR, and credential verification can support your organization’s compliance with state laws, federal regulations, and other legal requirements in commercial building.
- Simplify Your Process: Onboarding new contractors doesn’t have to be painful. Simplifying the background check and verification process with a single, seamless digital experience means less stress for both the contractor and the company.
Evident’s unique platform automates both verification and background checks, and aggregates the results in an easy-to-use dashboard, enabling you to track the candidate review process from start to finish, and only pay for the verifications you need.
Our software also continues to support your business even after you’ve hired a new contractor, allowing you to stay informed of any changes in their licensing, credentials, MVRs, insurance, or background checks.
Is Evident Right for You?
Evident’s Identity Assurance Platform leverages intelligent automation and hundreds of authoritative data sources to provide the most accurate and up-to-date background checks and verification results. If you’re looking for ways to reduce your costs, save you time while confidently hiring the most qualified workers, Evident is the platform to make that possible. Request a demo.
Ready to start running verification in minutes? Sign up today.